Alabama Oversize Permits are valid for 5 days. Driver must have a permit prior to entering the state.
Travel is allowed during daylight only, (one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset) Monday through Saturday. No Sunday travel. Continuous travel is not allowed even when overweight only.
No travel is allowed on major holidays.
The vehicle must have the following characteristics:
- width: 8’6″ (8′ on lanes less than 12′ wide)
- height: 13’6”;
- length: 57′ trailers (53’6″ on roads less than 12′ wide) and 85′ overall (unless trailer exceeds 57′);
- overhang: 10′ front; 5′ rear; must be within length limits;
- weight: 80,000 Gross; Single – 20,000; Tandem – 34,000; Tridem – 42,000.
These parameters are established by the local legislation.
Alabama Oversize Load Permit Limits
- Width: 16′ (over 14′ cannot use Interstate)
- Height: 16’
- Length: 150′ (maximum overhang 20′)
- Overhang: 20′ overhang is the maximum permitted.
Weight: 250,000 Gross weight; Steer – 12,000; Single – 22,000; Tandem – 44,000; Tridem – 66,000; Quad — 88,000; 5 axles – 110,000; 6 axles – 122,000; 7 axles – 142,000; 8 axles – 150,000
Loads exceeding these dimensions, over 150,000 are Superloads.
- Width: over 12′ – 2 escort pilot cars needed.
- Height: over 15’5′ – 1 escort pilot car needed *(may be needed at lower heights on some routes)
Bucket or Blade Rule: If bucket or blade protrudes past sides of the trailer – 1 escort needed. (No escort needed if outriggers are used to prevent bucket or blade from protruding sides of the trailer).
- Length: With legal trailer length, over 85 – 1 escort pilot car needed, over 105′ – 2 escorts needed. Trailer length over 57’ – 1 rear escort needed
Overhang: over 5′ rear overhang – 1 rear escort needed, over 10′ front overhang – 1 front escort needed.
Bulldozers, front-end loaders and similar equipment shall be loaded with the blade to the rear any time the blade protrudes beyond the transporting vehicle. Overweight dozer and blade must be attached, or else hauled on separate loads if the blade is detached. 60′ Structural steel is exempt from permits and escorts.
“Oversize Load” signs must be clearly visible on the front and the rear of any overwidth or overlength vehicle or combination of vehicles and loads. Flags must be placed at the front and the rear corners of any over-dimensional load or vehicle. Over 4′ rear overhang requires lights at night. (Over 5′ needs a permit, and cannot run at night). There are no sign or flag requirements for overheight or overweight only loads.