Arizona oversize permits are valid for four days. Drivers have the option of purchasing permits at most Ports of Entry.
Travel is allowed during daylight hours, (one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset). Loads or vehicles not over 10′ wide or 14’6” high or not over 10′ rear overhang are allowed continuous travel. Loads not over 16′ wide, 16′ high,120′ long and 250,000 pounds may travel on Interstate and specified state routes at night, and from 3:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on weekends (except on holiday weekends and in curfew areas), this must be requested when a permit is ordered and must be stated on the permit.
Note – all loads over 11′ wide will be required to have one escort to travel from 3 a.m. to noon on weekends, and loads 15′ high and over will need escort with a height pole.
No over-dimensional or overweight loads allowed on I-17, I-10 and SR 60 within city limits of the Phoenix area; or I-10 or I-19 within city limits of the Tucson area between the hours of 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Local “Courtesy Permit” route approval is required for over dimensional travel within Phoenix and Tucson. No travel permitted on major holidays.
The vehicle must have the following characteristics:
- Width: 8’6″
- Height: 14′
- Length: 57′ 6″ semi-trailer on Interstate; 65′ overall combination if more than 53′ semi-trailer on other highways
- Overhang: 3′ front, 6′ rear
- Weight: 80,000 Gross; Steering – 20,000; Single – 20,000; Tandem – 34,000; Tridem – 42,000
Routine Arizona Oversize Load Permit Limits
- Width: 14′
- Height: 16′
- Length: 120′
- Weight: 250,000 Gross; Tandem – 46,000*; Tridem – 51,450–53,974*; Tridem – 28,000* (Tandem and Tridem weights may vary depending on axle spacing and axle width.
- Width: over 14′ – 1 or more escort pilot cars. Some restricted routes require 2 escort pilot cars over 12′ wide and a few for over 10′ wide
- Height: over 16′ – 1 or more escort pilot cars
- Length: over 120′ – 1 or more escort pilot cars
- Overhang: Front or Rear over 20′ – 1 escort pilot car
All overwidth vehicles or loads exceeding 8′ 11″ need to display “Oversize Load” signs. All overwidth loads and vehicles must be flagged with red or fluorescent orange flags 18″ square or larger on all 4 corners and at the widest points of the load. Any front or rear overhang must be flagged or lighted. Up to 10′ overhang may travel at night but must be lit and flagged. There are no sign or flag requirements for overheight or overweight only loads.