Florida Oversize Permits and Overweight Transport Permits
Oversize Permits in Florida are valid for 5 days. Driver must have a permit prior to entering the state.
Travel is allowed a one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, during Weekdays. Saturday and Sunday travel is restricted to one-half hour before sunrise to 12:00 noon. If the load is 10′ wide and under, legal trailer length, and height, movement is allowed all days during daytime hours (flags are required).
No movement allowed during peak traffic hours. Travel is prohibited during 6 main holidays plus Martin Luther King Day as well as the days before and after New Year’s, Thanksgiving and Christmas may also be restricted.
Florida turnpike limit is 12′ wide, 13’6 high. Turnpike routes are applied for with the state application. Additional toll charge is approximately 25 cents per mile for 7 axles, 20 cents per mile for 5.
The vehicle must have the following characteristics:
- Width: 8’6″ (8′ on some non-designated)
- Height: 13′ 6″ (13′ non-designated).
- Length: 48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from the center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal), 75′ overall length.
- Overhang: 3′ front, 3’ rear.
- Weight: 80,000 Gross; Single – 22,000; Tandem – 44,000; Tridem – 66,000
Routine Florida Oversize Permit Limits
- Width: 14′
- Height: 14’6″
- Length: 95′
- Overhang: maximum 10′ rear overhang during night travel.
- Weight: Depends on spacing 5 Axles – 112,000; depends on spacing and routes 6 Axles – 122,000; 7 Axles – 142,000.
Loads exceeding these dimensions or weights have to be applied for as Super Loads.
- Width: Over 12′ – 1 escort pilot car, (over 12′ on some 2 lanes – 2 escort pilot cars), over 14′ – 2 escort pilot cars, over 15′ may also require State Police escort.
- Height: Over 14’6 – 1 escort pilot car with height pole, over 16′ – 1 escort pilot car with height pole and 1 State Police on state roads. At 15′ high and over needs route survey.
- Length: Over 95′ – 1 escort pilot car (May require 2 escorts in certain situations); Over 150′ – 2 escort pilot cars; Over 250′ – 1 escort pilot car and 1 State Police vehicle)
- Overhang: Rear overhang up to 20′ past center of last axle or dolly may require 1 escort pilot car.
Blades, buckets, counterweights, etc. may be hauled up to 16′ wide, only if cannot be reduced (welded parts). Parts may be hauled on the same vehicle.
Flags are required on all over width, over height and over length loads, and with 3′ front or 4′ rear overhang. Flags must be red or orange and 18” square placed on all four corners and all protrusions, projections, and overhangs. “Oversize Load” signs are required on all loads exceeding 10′ wide, over legal length or 14′ high. Loads exceeding 10′ wide, or over 4′ rear overhang need 360-degree amber warning light on the tractor. Width over 12′, height over 14’6, length 85′ or over, requires two 360 degree amber warning lights, one on the tractor and one at the rear of the load.