Oklahoma Oversize Permits
Overweight permits are valid for 5 days. Driver must have permit prior to entering the state.
Travel is allowed for one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset seven days a week. Overweight ONLY can have continuous travel but must be requested when ordering permit.
Oversize load movements are not allowed on the Interstate system through Cleveland, Oklahoma, and Tulsa counties between 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (does not apply to overweight only). No travel allowed on major holidays.
OKLAHOMA TURNPIKES: Loads up to 9’6″ wide are permitted without requiring a Pike Pass. Loads over 9’6″ must have a valid Pike Pass account.
The vehicle must have the following characteristics:
- Width: 8’6″ (8′ on any highway having a surface width of less than 20 feet)
- Height: 13’6″
- Length: 59’6″ semitrailer and load is legal on all Interstate routes and many of the main U.S. Highways; 53′ semitrailer and load on other routes.
- Weight: 80,000 Gross on Interstate, 90,000 on non-Interstate routes (with legal tandem and tridem weights) Single – 20,000; Tandem – 34,000; Tridem – 42,000
Routine Oversize Permit Limits
- Width: 16′
- Height: Depends on routes
- Length: No set maximum
- Weight: Single – 20,000; Tandem – 40,000 (with at least 4’3″ axle spacing) or 39,000 (less than 4’3″ spacing); Tridem – 60,000 (57,000 with 4’2″ axle spacing); Quad – 65,000; Steer Axle – 15,000 (With minimum spacing of 15′ steer to first drive axle).
For an overweight permit, your registration must be for at least the amount of gross weight you need permitted if less than 90,000 pounds.
- Width: Over 12’– 1 escort pilot car, over 14′ – 2 escort pilot cars.
- Height: Over 15’9″ – 2 escort pilot cars with height pole; public utilities and railroads along the route must be contacted in advance of the move by the permittee.
- Length: Over 80′ – 1 escort pilot car, over 100’– 2 escort pilot cars
“Oversize Load” signs are required on the front of tractor and rear of load or trailer (whichever extends the farthest) on all oversized loads moving under permit. All over width and over length loads require 18″ x 18″ red or fluorescent orange flags. Flags are required at each corner of the load and on the widest point of any oversize load. Rear overhang of 4 feet or more must be flagged.